Discord’s ability to clear chats is one of its most requested features. Yet we can’t effortlessly clear out old chats or mass delete more recent ones despite years of requests. However, there are options available, and this article will explain them.
When you manage a Discord channel, housekeeping is one of your core duties. Use bots to help you manage each channel or take the time to manage each channel yourself. In this article, you will learn how to clear chats as part of your administrative duties.
Clear Discord Chat Manually
Cleaning up a Discord chat manually is a long and tedious process. Nevertheless, you have a lot more control over what gets deleted. You may choose the manual deletion method if you want to keep some valuable conversations for a while.
The built-in deletion process in Discord can be used to clear a chat.
- Clear the Channel by navigating to it.
- You can delete a message by clicking on the three-dot menu to the right of the message. You can also hold down the Shift key.
- To delete the message, click on the red trash can icon. You can also click Delete Message.
- You will be asked to confirm the deletion in a pop-up. Then click Delete.
The native functions of the platform don’t make it easy to mass-delete messages. To delete all the messages in your channels, there are simpler methods.
Clear Discord Chat With a Bot
The easiest way to clean your channel is to use a bot. Discord has bots for everything, and they’re perfect for housekeeping tasks such as clearing chats. The Mee6 Bot is one of the most common chatbots.
In order to add a bot to Discord, you need to be an Administrator or have Manage Server permissions. It is impossible to add bots if you don’t have this. If you want to check if you have permissions, follow these steps:
- Add the bot to the server you selected.
- From the menu on the right, select Server Settings (the arrow to the right of your server name).
- Make sure either Administrator or Manage Roles is toggled on under Roles. To find the Administrator roles, click on Default Permissions at the top.
If you cannot toggle Administrator or Manage Server or don’t see Server Settings, you do not have sufficient permissions and need to contact the server owner. If one of those settings is enabled, you can add the bot.
Adding the Bot
The Mee6 bot will be used for this article. The versatile and trusted bot can perform a variety of administrative tasks in Discord, including clearing chats.
Add the bot by following these steps:
- Visit this website and select Add to Discord (keep this page open).
- Log in to your Discord account.
- You can clear out a server by selecting it.
- The bot needs to be authorized for that server.
- Return to the MEE6 website.
- From the upper right corner, select the server you just added it to. Click on the Moderator option if it isn’t already selected, and click Yes when prompted.
- On your server, type zero, ten, or 100. Choose whichever is most appropriate.
If necessary, you can also clear chats from individuals. If someone has posted a bunch of messages nobody wants to see, it is helpful to clear the chat by the user. The command ‘! To remove 100 messages from @[NAME], use the clear @[NAME] command.
Among the most popular and helpful Bots is CleanChat. In a similar way, it works.
Clear Discord Chat by Cloning and Closing
It is possible to clone a server and shut down the original if the bot isn’t doing enough for you. As a result, your users and settings remain, but the chat history and clutter are removed. This is a convoluted method for clearing chat, but it works. A bot or manual cloning can be used to clone your server.
Manually cloning a server involves the following steps:
- In Discord, select the server you want to clone.
- Go to the Server Settings page.
- Select Server Template from the left-hand menu.
- Click Generate Template and give your template a name.
- Below your template link, click Preview Template.
- Create should be selected.
- Your new server will appear in your server list once you leave the settings menu.
- The original server should be deleted.
It is also possible to use a bot for this purpose, if you prefer. There are a few bots available that clone servers. The DiscordServerCloner on GitHub is highly recommended. A copy of your server will be saved by the bot so you can restore it if necessary.
Regardless of the method you choose, any bots you had in your original server will need to be re-added, but everything else should be fine.
Probably the easiest to use are the chat clearance bots. However, they make short work of clearing chat and general housekeeping despite being limited to clearing chat from the previous 14 days. We recommend having one of these bots around anyway if you have a lively server.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to more questions about moderating a Discord chat!
As an administrator, you may have to ban or kick someone who consistently violates your Server’s rules. The option to block the violator can be found on the violator’s profile.
Yes, absolutely! Discord bots make it easy to customize and manage your servers. A seamless experience can be achieved by adding several bots with different roles and tasks.
Locate the message and click the three horizontal lines all the way to the right. After selecting ‘Delete Message,’ the message will disappear.
No, I’m afraid not. The feature has been requested by several users, but Discord has yet to respond.
How do I delete all messages in a Discord DM?
You cannot add bots to Discord DMs (private messages) unlike servers. As a result, we are forced to delete each message individually. To make deletion easier, you can use the keyboard. Here’s what you need to do:
- You can delete the first message by clicking on it. You can then highlight the message by clicking the Up Arrow. It is possible that the text box will highlight instead. Click the Up Arrow again if it does.
- On a Mac, click the Delete button (or the Backspace button). Click Enter to confirm you want to delete the message.
- You should repeat this process for each message you have sent.
Unfortunately, this is all we can do due to Discord’s chat deletion limitations. The process may take a while, depending on how many messages you’re trying to delete, and you can’t delete messages you’ve received.