How to Reset Chamberlain Garage Door Opener? If your Chamberlain garage door opener malfunctions or if your remote control is lost or stolen, you should try resetting it.
Table of Contents
Reset Chamberlain Garage Door Opener
Press and hold the LEARN button on your Chamberlain garage door opener for 6 seconds until the LED light turns off. All remote control and keyless entry codes will be erased when the LED goes out. To confirm, try using your remote. It shouldn’t work.
Erase the memory of your Chamberlain garage door opener
Locate the LEARN button on your Chamberlain garage door opener to delete previous programming codes and reset it. It is located on the back of the motor housing.
On many of the latest models, there is also an LED light right next to the LEARN button. Press and hold the LEARN button for approximately 6 seconds, until that LED light goes out.
By the time the LED goes out, all remote control and keyless entry codes will have been successfully erased.
Try using the remote control that was programmed to your garage door opener to test and ensure that you have successfully reset it. The door should not respond.
While the new controls are being activated, you may want to avoid the door because it could open and close.
Reconnect your remote control
Once you’ve reset your Chamberlain garage door opener, you’ll need to reconnect the remote control.
Steps to take will vary depending on the model of the opener you have and the color of the LEARN button.
To reconnect your Chamberlain remote control, follow these steps:
- Remove the metal clip from your remote control. This will reveal a small reset button on the back center of your remote (on newer models, that button may be on the front or side of the remote).
- Press that button with the metal clip.
- An LED light should appear on the front of your remote.
- On the garage door opener, press and release the LEARN button.
- Press and release the remote control button.
- Check to see if the garage door opener light bulb blinks. Alternatively, wait for the remote control LED to light solid, then slowly press and release the remote control button again.
- Repeat until the light bulb blinks. DO NOT press the remote control button after the lightbulb blinks!
- Find out what color your LEARN button is on your Chamberlain motor housing. As per the table above, press and release the remote button you wish to program the number of times.
- Once you’ve pressed the remote button the correct number of times, press another button on the remote one time. The LED light on the remote should now be off.
- Press and release the LEARN button on your Chamberlain motor housing.
- Once you have programmed the remote once, the light on the opener should flash. Press it again and your garage door will open/close!
Set Up The Keypad
To program your Chamberlain keypad:
- On the Chamberlain garage door motor housing, press the LEARN button
- Once the LED light comes on, you have 30 seconds to set up the keypad
- Enter your 4-digit code on the keypad then press and hold ENTER until you hear a click and see the light flash on the overhead Chamberlain garage door motor housing
- Now press ENTER and your garage door should close no problem
- Enter your 4-digit code after the door closes. Your garage door should open.
Sometimes the instructions above work for a while, but eventually your keypad stops working. This can interfere with other remote controls that you have in your vehicles.
You can try setting up your Keypad following these steps if this happens to you:
- Hold both the * and # buttons on the keypad until the lights on the keypad turn on and then stop blinking.
- Enter a new 4-digit code on the keypad then press the # button.
- Then click the ENTER button the number of times that correspond to the color of your LEARN button (see table above). If your LEARN button is yellow, press ENTER once.
- To exit programming mode, press 0 on the keypad.
- Press the LEARN button once on your Chamberlain garage door motor housing. The LED on the motor housing will stay lit. You have 30 seconds for the next step…
- Press back to the keypad and enter your 4-digit code again then press and hold the ENTER button on the keypad until the light blinks in your motor housing.
- You should be all set! You should test your keypad to make sure it is working properly.
Support and Manuals
If you’re stuck on any of the steps above, refer to the manual for your specific Chamberlain garage door opener.
If you’re not sure what model opener you have, check the motor housing on your Chamberlain garage door opener. There is a sticker on the side with your model number.
You can reach Chamberlain directly at 1 (800) 528-5880 if you still need help. Chamberlain should be able to assist you. Their hours are:
- Monday – Friday: 8:00am – 9:00pm EDT
- Saturday: 10:00am – 7:00pm EDT
- Sunday: CLOSED
If your Chamberlain garage door opener is malfunctioning or if your remote has been lost or stolen, you should reset the opener.
To reset your Chamberlain garage door opener, you must:
- Erase your garage door memory (including all remote control and keyless entry codes)
- Reconnect your remote control(s)
- Set up your keypad
If you have trouble with any of these steps, you can find your model’s user manual on Chamberlain’s website. If all else fails, give Chamberlain customer support a call and they will get things sorted out for you.